Year-Long Reading Challenge
Looking to read more? Each year, the Library hosts a year-long reading challenge! The challenge is designed to help readers find engaging books and maybe even new reading interests. To participate, sign up on the Library’s GoodReads page. After you sign up, be sure to visit often. Our GoodReads page is a great way to connect with other readers, get recommendations and support others tackling the challenge.
Follow these simple steps to sign up:
- Visit the Library’s GoodReads page.
- Already a member of GoodReads? Be sure you are signed in.
- If you are not a GoodReads member, create an account.
- Once you are logged into your account, click on the Join Group button.
- Click on the Discussion Board to see a list of all the boards.
- Click on the latest Reading Challenge to see all the topics for the challenge.
- Find the Welcome! post and click on it.
- Click on the Reply link below the initial post. Add your name and any thoughts you have about doing the challenge.
- Hit Post and you are signed up!
For this challenge, you're asked to read both fiction and nonfiction books. You can keep track of your books on a separate bookshelf in your GoodReads account, but we also have a handy printable log and fillable spreadsheet.
In 2022, we want to read:
- Classic or literary title (Fiction)
- Retelling or expansion on well-known story/character (Fiction)
- Printz (YA) or Newbery (Children’s) Award book (Fiction)
- There’s magic involved (Fiction)
- Award winner or nominated in favorite genre (Fiction)
- Author never read before (Fiction)
- There’s a trip involved (train, boat, car, plane, stagecoach…) (Fiction)
- Takes place in two different countries or time periods (Fiction)
- Set in (or around) the Twin Cities (Fiction)
- Includes a map, list of characters, family tree or historical note (Fiction)
- Written by a person of color (Fiction or Nonfiction)
- Published 2020, 2021 or 2022 (Fiction or Nonfiction)
- On TBR list for a long time (Fiction or Nonfiction)
- An author who writes both fiction & nonfiction (Fiction title)
- A title by the same author as above (Nonfiction title)
- Reread title that you first read more than 10 years ago (Fiction or Nonfiction)
- One you can read in a weekend (Fiction or Nonfiction)
- Book has an intriguing title(Fiction or Nonfiction)
- Title that begins with the same letter as your first name (Fiction or Nonfiction)
- Best book read in 2022 (Fiction or Nonfiction)
- Wartime history, biography or memoir (Nonfiction)
- Personal passion (Nonfiction)
- Memoir/diary/personal essays (Nonfiction)
- Self-Help/Self-Care (Nonfiction)
- The great outdoors: wild animals, weather, nature, parks (Nonfiction)