Get a Card

This is a condensed version of the MLCL card policy. You can read the full policy here.

Who can get a card?

  • Anyone who lives in or owns property in Plum Creek’s service area:
    • Lyon County, Lincoln County, Redwood County, Pipestone County, Murray County, Cottonwood County, Rock County, Nobles County, or Jackson County
  • Current Southwest Minnesota State University (SMSU) students
  • Anyone who has a permanent address or owns property in Minnesota

The type of card you get will depend on where you live/own property.

How can I get a card?

You must apply in person. If you’re a parent getting a card for your child, you and the child must be present. (Children of all ages are eligible for a library card.)

When you come, bring in official identification and proof of address.

  • ID options: a government-issued photo identification card, such as a driver’s license, state ID card, tribal ID card, passport, or immigrant ID card.
  • Address options: something official with your current address on it, such as a lease, bill, check, or bank statement. (If your ID lists your current address, it counts as ID and proof of address.) SMSU students: please bring your SMSU ID card.

If you’re under 16 years old, you’ll need to have a parent/guardian visit the public library with you to sign off on your card. Your school librarian/media staff may also be able to help you register for a public library card. Be aware: if your parent/guardian has a suspended library card, they can’t sign off on your card.

What do you mean, type of card?

Because of how libraries are funded, different areas are paying for different services.

If you live in Lyon County, excluding inside the city limits of Minneota or Tracy, you’ll get a Marshall-Lyon County library card.

If you live within the city limits of Minneota or Tracy, you’ll get a library card for Minneota or Tracy.

If you live in another part of Plum Creek’s service area, we can give you a Plum Creek library card. If you’re able to visit your home library, however, you might want to get a card from them. They may have special services that only their library cards can access.

If you live outside of Plum Creek’s service area, we can issue you a card to check out materials and use in-house services only. You will not be able to use our digital libraries like OverDrive or Hoopla. Those services can only be offered through your home library system. If you don’t have a card in your home MN library region, you might want to try to get one. You can find your home library system here: Look for your home county.

I don’t fit into those categories. What are my options?

Non-MN residents, temporary residents, businesses, institutions, and organizations can obtain cards. Fees may apply for non-MN residents and temporary residents. Plum Creek policy for cards can be found here. Please contact your library for more details. Regardless, you don’t need a library card to use our in-house services like wifi, printing, lectures, events, storytimes, and our physical collections. Computer guest passes are available for visitors from outside the library system. You need a card to take things home and use online services, but the library is open to everyone!