Current version adopted December 2016. Last reviewed November 2019. Next review, October 2022.
The Marshall-Lyon County Public Library strives to provide a safe, pleasant and comfortable environment for all who use its resources, materials and facilities. As there are often a multitude of activities and people using the Library at any given time, balancing every user’s needs and wants is a responsibility that Library staff takes seriously. In order to accomplish this, all those who use the Library are expected to respect the rights and activities of other customers and Library staff and use Library spaces for their intended purposes. Misconduct and violations of this and other Library Policies are not allowed and will be addressed by Library staff and law enforcement, if necessary.
Customers are expected to:
- Behave respectfully to Library staff and other customers.
- Use Library collections, equipment, facilities and furniture for their intended purposes.
- Be courteous and as quiet as possible while using cell phones, personal devices and computers.
- Provide proper supervision of children. [See Unattended Child and Vulnerable Person Policy.]
- Dress appropriately, including wearing a shirt and shoes.
- Maintain proper personal hygiene so as not to offend others with strong, pervasive odors such as body odor and odors caused by perfume, cologne or alcohol.
- Cooperate with staff and allow belongings to be searched in order to prevent unauthorized removal of library materials and equipment.
- Conduct themselves and their business so as not to disrupt or prevent others from using Library resources, materials, furniture and/or facilities.
In order to allow a wide variety of people maximum enjoyment and comfort while in the Library, customers may not engage in the following activities or behaviors:
- Bring animals into the library except for service animals necessary for those with disabilities, as defined under local, state and federal laws.
- Use bathrooms for unreasonable or unintended purposes, including bathing and laundering.
- Deposit litter anywhere other than in garbage receptacles provided.
- Engage in sexual activity of any kind, sexual harassment or indecent exposure.
- Smoke or use tobacco products on Library property, except within a personal vehicle.
- Consume, possess or be under the influence of illicit or intoxicating substances while on Library premises.
- Harass, intimidate or threaten any Library staff or customer, including but not limited to threatening physical violence, cursing or using inappropriate language; throwing things; interfering with those attempting to leave or enter a building, room or space; engaging in sexual or verbal abuse; or soliciting, selling or campaigning.
- Behave in a loud, disorderly or boisterous manner.
- Lay hands on another person or their property in a violent or harmful way.
- Conduct gang activities or wear gang colors and/or symbols.
- Violate the Library’s Internet Usage Policy.
- Leave computers, packages, backpacks or any other personal items unattended.
- Congregate or loiter on Library premises in a manner which obstructs access or interferes with use of Library facilities or services or where such activity is likely to result in an unsafe or intimidating environment.
- Take photos or videos of others without their explicit permission. [No commercial photography or videotaping is allowed without the explicit permission of the Library Director or designee.]
- Use skateboards on Library property or park bikes anywhere other than designated spaces.
- Steal, vandalize or deliberately mar or harm Library, staff or other customers’ property or materials.
- Bring in or use sporting equipment within a Library facility, unless part of a Library program.
- Interfere with another person’s enjoyment of library service and facilities.
All customers and those on any Library property are expected to abide by this Policy. Inappropriate behavior as outlined above or the commission of any crime on Library property will not be tolerated and will be addressed by Library staff immediately. Depending on the behavior or activity and the severity of the violation, staff may respond in the following ways:
- Customers will be notified that they are in violation of this Policy and asked to stop or correct the activity or behavior.
- A customer may be asked to leave the library premises immediately and not allowed back for the remainder of the day.
- Additionally, a customer may be barred from library premises temporarily, such as a few days, a week, month or longer depending on the severity of the offense or a customer’s refusal or apparent inability to change his/her behavior.
- If a violation is particularly egregious or dangerous or a customer engages in the same activity repeatedly, the Library may permanently ban that customer from either a service (such as using the public computers) or from the Library premises.
Law enforcement will be called when necessary when staff are unable to handle a situation or customer. Likewise, law enforcement may be used to temporarily or permanently trespass someone from using the Library or being on Library property.